Thursday 10 February 2011

Idle Hands and Happy Ears

I woke up early... for me and got to my normal shuffling around in my Nursey Bang Bang emergency slippers and sipping my mega mug of tea. I was preparing for a meeting today with the talented screenwriter and lunch buddy John Foster and knew if I put some music on, I'd never get there on time. Why is it that on the busiest days, I'm so much more susceptible to distraction, slowness and the dreaded temptation that is iToons?

It's hard when Abbo is editing his radio shows to not steal the mouse away and listen to every song in its entirety - and then turn up and repeat my favourite songs! Right now, I've got lots of lovely work that I enjoy to do that I really need to finish but too late! Whitey Shafer's "All My Ex's Live In Texas" pops up and everything stops for a loud sing a long.

It got me thinking about the power of music. There are certain songs that make you drop your pen, ignore your phone/postman/crying baby and have to be played all the way through. The anguish of hearing your favourite song on the radio, only for the DJ to talk over the last bit, right before the final guitar solo/organ cadenza/belting chorus kicks in is almost rage inducing! Not something practised by Mr A.

Music lifts us up or takes us on magical trips, makes our hearts race, makes us weep quietly to ourselves or sing out in unrivalled joy!

With this in mind, I thought I'd share with you Tam's Top Ten - stop everything you are doing and belt it out lass - songs. Please bear in mind, this has been no easy task and will of course change again tomorrow!

*insert Top of the Pop or similar chart countdown music here*

10) Wired for Sound - Cliff Richard (guilty pleasure)
9) Go Speed Racer - Ali Dee and the DeeKompressors
8) Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler
7) Thunder In My Heart - Leo Sayer
6) Smooth Criminal - Micky J
5) Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf
4) Young Turks - Rod Stewart
3) Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
2) Knights of Cydonia - Muse
1) Runaway - Del Shannon

Pure indulgence! I think I need locking up for a week with just an orange crayon and a ream of paper - maybe then I'll get some work done!

Sound Tracks with Ian Abbott - every Sunday at 9am on Forest FM

No comments:

Post a Comment